Roast Fennel Mayonnaise
This roast fennel mayonnaise is a favourite of mine. I even spread it thickly on toast. It’s delicious served with pan-fried fish or in a chicken sandwich, not to mention as a dip.
If you can buy fennel bulbs that have some of the fronds (leaves) attached, save to sprinkle at the end. Don’t add dill as it over-powers the fennel flavour.
Roasted Fennel Mayonnaise
Start with two good size fennel bulbs.
Slice it and spread it on a baking dish.
Drizzle a little of virgin olive oil over it.
Put in a medium hot oven 180˚C fan.
Halfway through roasting turn the pieces over.
Roast them until you have a few pieces that are nicely tinged.
Put them straight away into a bowl.
Cover with clingfilm to let the steam continue cooking them.
Now whiz them as best as you can. I tried in my mini blender but the best gadget to puree the fennel was the hand blender.
Fennel should to be minced finely, it will give the mayo a lovely texture.
A generous cup of mayo, 250ml, and here’s my post How to make Mayonnaise.
Add the minced-up fennel and a good generous sprinkle of salt, and freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper if you like.
Apart from the fact you should not eat it now.
The fennel flavour right now is not strong, it needs putting away in the fridge for a good 12hrs or overnight to let it come through properly.
It was perfect with fish but I must tell you I enjoy it just as much with the potatoes, would happily have it as a potato dip.
If making homemade mayonnaise, my recipe here.
- 2 medium/large size fennel bulbs
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 250ml / 1 cup mayonnaise
- generous pinch of salt
- freshly black pepper or cayenne pepper to taste
- a sprinkling of fennel leaves.
- Slice the fennel bulbs thickly and spread them out in a baking dish. Drizzle over the oil and roast them for 20 minutes. Bring it out and turn over the slices, put them back in the oven for another 20-25mins until they are very browned.
- Put the fennel into a bowl and cover with cling film, let it steam away for 30mins. Blitz the fennel until it's minced up finely. Add it to the mayonnaise and the fennel leaves . Leave it for 12hrs or overnight in the fridge.