A slow cooker or crock-pot is a countertop cooking appliance that usually simmers the food at a low temperature to maintain the nutrients. It uses much less heat than other types of cooking methods. However, almost all kinds of dishes can be easily prepared in this appliance. And, the best part is that you do not need to constantly vigilant throughout the process!
Irving Naxon of the Naxon Utilities Corporation first developed a ‘Beanery All-Purpose Cooker’ in Chicago to help with the cooking of bean meals. And then in 1950, Industrial Radiant Heat Corporation made the ‘Simmer Crock’ in Gladstone, New Jersey. And since then, slow cookers have remained a must-have appliance in everyone’s kitchen.
Here’s our pick of 7 best programmable slow cookers
The LUX60V3 V3 Cooker is a combination of six kitchen appliances: pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, steamer, sautéing appliance, and warmer. It is equipped with 3rd generation microprocessor technology to ensure unmatched performance. It delivers three temperature modes in slow cooking and sautéing. It also offers up to 240 minutes of pressure cooking time and as much as 24 hours of Delay Cooking Start feature. You also get a Keep Warm setting of up to 10 hours.
The inner cooking pot is made of 304 food grade 18/8 stainless steel; it doesn’t have any chemical coating to make it safe and healthy. Besides, it is UL and ULC certified, thus ensuring 10 safety mechanisms of this cooker. This 1000 watts slow cooker runs smoothly on the 120V – 60Hz power supply. It also comes with an Alexa cooking guide that has more than 300 unique recipes to enable you to make incredible dishes with this cooker.
- Product Dimensions: 13.2 x 12.2 x 12.5 inches
- Product Weight: 11.53 pounds
- Program: 12 Smart programs
- Comes in three different sizes of 3-8 QT
- Cooks about 70% faster than traditional cooking methods
- Comes with 3 ply bottom for the even distribution of heat
- Fully-sealed pot to trap nutrients and flavor while cooking
- Operates only on high pressure
- Comes with just a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
The newly-innovated cooker from the house of COSORI serves the purposes of eleven kitchen appliances: steamer, simmer, rice cooker, baking appliance, boiling appliance, yogurt maker, sautéing appliance, roaster, browning tool, slow cooker, and manual cooking device. You can slow cook in three different heat settings and can customize the heat setting to turn it to 86°F-400°F manually. It also enables you to cook in a customized cooking time.
The cast-aluminum inner pot is made of food-grade-safe material that also has non-stick properties. It is also lead and BPA-free besides being free of any PTFE and PFOA coating. The exterior is made of brushed stainless steel that is fingerprint-resistant and is much easier to clean. This cooker has six safety mechanisms and is entirely dishwasher-safe, making it suitable for everyone. It also features heat-resistant handles for easy operation.
- Product Dimensions: 17.7 x 11 x 9 inches
- Product Weight: 15 pounds
- Program: 11 Micro-processor Controlled Programs
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty with the option of 1-year extended warranty
- Comes with a removable rubber seal for faster cook
- Keeps the food warm for as long as 8 hours
- UL and FDA approved to prove it safe and secure
- Stirring the food while cooking required
- Rubber gasket to be washed and dried after every use
The SD700450 slow cooker is made of stainless steel and has a removable black insert made of ceramic. It is large enough to cook for a good number of people; and, you can directly use it as a serving pot. It ensures 4-20 hours of cooking time and has a cycle time of 26 hours. These settings help you to prepare your favorite dishes on any schedule. Besides, it also traps the aroma and flavor of the food to ensure you have the best of your dish each time.
The ceramic insert of this slow cooker has integrated handles that ensure a secure grip. These handles also give you the freedom to transport it easily. So, it can also be your companion on a picnic or family outing. Besides, it has a glass lid that traps the moisture and heat of the food while cooking. This cooker has riveted handles on the base, made of stainless steel.
- Product Dimensions: 19.9 x 14 x 11.4 inches
- Product Weight: 12.5 pounds
- Program: N/A
- Come in four different size variants of 4-7 QT
- Large easy-to-read digital display
- Large buttons for easy control
- Easy to clean and fully dishwasher-safe cooker, lid, crock liner, and insert
- Secure and easy grip enabled by integrated handles
- Difficult to wash it by hand because of heavy main insert
- Using ceramic insert as a stovetop strictly not recommended
The specially-designed Ninja cooker comes with 80+ Auto-iQ recipes. You can select the pre-program modes by just a touch of a button; all you need to do is add the ingredients of the dish, and the intelligent cooker will take care of the rest. It is a combo of four kitchen appliances: slow cooker, searer, baking appliance, and sautéing device. This cooker comes with ‘Triple Fusion Heat’ technology that provides heat and steam simultaneously.
This slow cooker comes with a large digital timer and has an auto Stay Warm feature; it maintains the ideal temperature of your favorite dish until the service. It is also extremely lightweight, making it easy to carry. The ‘AccuTemp’ feature of this cooker intelligently controls the whole cooking operation to make the dish perfect. It is also PTFE free and has a non-stick coating.
- Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 10.2 x 17 inches
- Product Weight: 11 pounds
- Program: 80+ Auto-iQ
- Triple fusion heat unlike traditional cookers
- Manual control of cooking temperature from 250°F to 425°F
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Cooks within 30 minutes, just at a touch of a button
- Comes in just a single size variant of 6 QT
- Uneven heat at the base when used as a stovetop
The all-new MSC-800 is a combination of four different kitchen appliances: slow cooker, simmer, roaster, and warmer. You can slow cook in three different heat settings. You can keep food warm or simmer any food for up to 24 hours; you can roast your favorite turkey for up to 6 hours at 250°F-450°F. Besides, you can also steam or sauté your favorite food in up to 500°F. The removable cooking pot is made of non-stick cast aluminum and has a Teflon coating.
Its 7-quarts capacity is ideal for any small gathering. Besides, it features an automatic Keep Warm mode that also makes it perfect for any house party. This slow cooker has an extra-large LCD that is perfect for easily reading cooking time and temperature. It features a retractable power cord that makes your kitchen counter clutter-free. Besides, it also comes with the clear-view glass top.
- Product Dimensions: 13.5 x 19.5 x 9.9 inches
- Product Weight: 18.8 pounds
- Program: 4 Function
- Single-touch mode change for combo cooking
- Comes in 3 different size variants from 4 QT to 8 QT
- Dishwasher-safe cooking pot and glass lid for easy cleaning
- Comes with a reversible roasting and steaming rack
- 44-inch long, non-detachable power cord
- Shallow but wide inner pot
The new cooker from the house of Hamilton Beach is not just an excellent slow cooker available in 2019; it also features some innovative smart technologies. It allows you to prepare your favorite dish in a specific time or temperature. You can cook on low, medium, or high heat using manual settings. It comes with a patented temperature probe that can be easily placed in the food during the preparation to achieve precise temperature.
This slow cooker comes with a clip-tight lid gasket that secures the seal between the lid and the pot so that you can easily carry the food. Besides, this unique seal also maintains the temperature of the food during the short power cut. The inner pot is also large enough to cook 6 pounds of chicken or 4 pounds of turkey roast. So, it is not only just a great appliance for any household but is also ideal for small gatherings.
- Product Dimensions: 11.2 x 17.5 x 11.8 inches
- Product Weight: 14.5 pounds
- Program: N/A
- Automatically switches to Keep Warm mode after cooking
- Displays Real-time temperature on backlit control panel while cooking
- Chances of spillage eliminated by the tight and secured seal
- Removable and dishwasher-safe crock and lid
- Comes in just a single size variant
- Comes with just a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
The SCCPVI600-S cooker comes with a ceramic-coated pot that is also ideal for stove-top browning. That not only makes it one of the best slow cookers but also assures multipurpose application. You can pre-set your cooking time from 30 minutes to 20 hours, as it has a digital timer. This crock-pot is not just easy to use but is also extremely durable.
The stoneware and glass lid is removable and is fully dishwasher-safe to ensure easy cleaning. Besides, you can also clean the pot and the lid with hot and soapy water. Besides slow cooking, the removable stoneware can also be used as a serving dish. Like traditional cookers, this particular crock-pot does not provide heat only from the bottom. So, you need to fill up the inner pot at least up to the halfway mark to get the best result.
- Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 15.2 x 15.1 inches
- Product Weight: 8.75 pounds
- Program: N/A
- 6-quart capacity that is ideal for 6 or more people
- Comes with unique recipes
- Auto-shift to Keep Warm mode for ideal serving temperature
- Maintains the aroma and nutrients of the food
- Preheat strictly not recommended
- Needs to be cooled before cleaning
How to Choose the Right Programmable Slow Cooker
To buy the right programmable slow cooker for your kitchen, you first need to understand the components and the features of the device. This will help you figure out what are the possible advantages and disadvantages of the appliance.
Almost all of the most popular programmable slow cookers primarily have three main components:
- An oval cooking pot, usually made of porcelain or glazed ceramics;
- A housing casing, made of metal, with a heating element;
- A lid to cover the pot, usually made of glass.
The lid sits tightly on the groove in the edge of the pot. Condensed vapor usually collects in that groove that makes a seal, although many cookers now also come with a separate rubber gasket. The inner ceramic pot of the slow cooker acts both as a container and a heat reservoir. The actual pressure inside a crock-pot is quite similar to the atmospheric pressure that not only makes is different than other pressure cooker but also eliminates the danger of any abrupt pressure release.
Slow cookers now come in several variants of 500ml-7litres (17 US fl. oz.-8 Q). However, most of the slow cooker has a minimum recommendation of liquid level to eliminate the chance of sudden heating. Most of the slow cookers primarily have three types of heat settings: low, medium, and high. However, many top-notch slow cookers now available also have a separate ‘keep warm’ setting.
With slow cookers, it is almost impossible to burn the food due to the low simmering temperature. Slow cookers are also quite easy to clean, as most of them are dishwasher-safe. Slow cookers can make it easy for you to prepare delicious comfort food, and perfectly cooked meat that falls off the bones. By understanding what to look for in a slow cooker, it will be easy to choose the right slow cooker that seems tailored to suit all your needs. So, happy cooking!